With much space constraints in the city, it is no wonder that more and more people opt to own a condo unit rather than deciding on building their own house especially for those who are bona fide city dwellers who can’t seem to settle for a life even on the outskirt of the metropolis.
“Mid- and high-rise developments continue to sprout across the metro because there is also an increasing demand for condo living. Starting families, for one, find it more convenient and less time-consuming to move into a condominium unit than wait longer for the construction of a house. Millennials, on the other hand, think condos are the most ideal, especially because of the accessibility to majority of schools and central business districts. Even old couples consider retiring at a condominium development, as this lessens their worries and consequently grants them more time to appreciate the surroundings,” as writer Cy Yambao observed in her online article Perks of Condo Living.
There are some drawbacks too though amidst the many advantages of living in a condominium, Sarah Lane Kim, 19, shared her experience in living at a primed grandeur park residences condo , “Noise is not something that your neighbours will ever tolerate. And pets are actually quite restricted too. While I heard that some condo buildings allow this provided the unit owner abide by certain rules, it would be really hard to get through their screening process. These are just some of the things I dislike about condo living, but overall, I have a very great experience being in a high-rise condo.”
In a 2016 article of Tatiana Sviridova for linkedin.com titled Condo Living Advantages and Disadvantages, several advantages of condo living where listed, including:
- Condos tend to be more affordable with lower prices, especially for first-time buyers and single individuals who would prefer a cozier place that perfect fits budgetary limitations.
- Condos are often conveniently located to office buildings, shopping and entertainment.
- Amenities may include 24-hour concierge, courtesy patrol, activities director, pool, tennis courts and fitness facilities plus the convenience of no yard work.
- Exterior maintenance is the responsibility of the condominium association.
- Condo owners receive the same tax benefits as owners of single-family homes.
- A manageable size means less upkeep.
- Pride of ownership from being an owner rather than a renter.
Paul Leemak, a Malaysian who now resides in a grandeur park condominium in tanah merah, shares how he has been enjoying a life of convenience with the greatest spot for night lights in the city, “Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought I will be living in those grandeur park condo I just saw on the magazine back in Kuala Lumpur when I was still in college. When I moved here in Singapore for work, I wanted to be near the office—and it’s a good thing that my company shoulders part of my housing allowance so I shell out just a fraction of my salary. Since this is a rent to own unit, I feel secured that I can stay in SG for as long as I can work in the IT field. I am living the dream, definitely”.